Monday, June 27, 2022

Mitchell to Sioux Falls

 Mitchell to Sioux Falls...73 miles w/ 2300' climbing

Yes, I’m beginning to repeat myself…in that we once again transited vast open areas of prairie land. And once again, we were bedeviled by a 20 mph wind out of the SE, and of course, we set an easterly course for the day’s journey. And while I’m no psychologist, I’m going out a limb and self-diagnose the onset of Amenophobia. I’m quite certain an Rx of a wind dead out of the west for the next several days will be a wonderful curative.

For now, we again relied on teamwork to lessen the wind’s impact on each of us individually. We’ve developed a solid group of cyclists. And now that I’m back up to about 80% of form, I’m pleased to be able to shoulder my share of the load.

Tonight we overnight in Sioux Falls. It is a delightful big town / little city situated abreast of the Big Sioux River. The falls are directly in the heart of the city. There is a 22 mile river trail that circumnavigates the city and surrounding area, basically following the flow of the river. It’s a lovely cruise, Amy and I did it last year on our mountain bikes, replete with numerous parks, golf courses, and historical markers.

In 2020, Sioux Falls was named one of the top five cities to retire to by AARP. The significant presence of top notch healthcare and the quality of life contributed to this ranking. And while the weather was agreeable during our brief visit (90* with 60% humidity) I would have to withhold weighing in on the viability of Sioux Falls as a retirement location until we visit on a hard January day.

Until tomorrow…sleep well!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Green to Madison...leading to rest day. 55 miles w/ 2800' climbing Mr. Rogers says…It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood…   To...