Monday, June 27, 2022

Sheridan to Gillette WY

 Today’s conditions coupled with my physical condition took a toll on me.

We toiled against 30 mph headwinds. It was brutal. Even working with a strong group, with the wind coming at us from our right front, and with echelon riding too dangerous, it was difficult to find respite even when not in the lead. To a person, there were remarks that it was the toughest conditions they had ever cycled in. I remarked that even when riding flat terrain, it was akin to climbing a 3% grade. A fellow rider disagreed, saying that he can usually maintain 11 mph on a 3% grade, while today we were barely making 9 to 10 mph, so he reckoned it was more like a constant 5% grade. I believe all of us would have gladly repeated yesterday’s 22 mile and 5 mile climbs vice the relentless wind we faced today. At least with climbing you know there’s an end in sight. Battling a head wind, however, takes both a physical and mental toll, as the roar of the wind is constant while making you feel as though you’re battling through an invisible barrier.

As to the physical toll, I was simply exhausted at mile 85. I transported the remaining 20 miles. As disappointing as it is, and there’s no way you can fathom the depth of my disappointment, I decided that rather than jeopardize the remaining 35 days of this journey, I should focus on burning as few matches as possible, getting myself well, and feel joy in riding my bicycle once again. Through the previous 14 days of long rides, steep climbs, and rainy conditions, my health hasn’t improved. Dr. Nick has warned me of the consequences of not paying heed to my deteriorating health…the constant cough, less than 3 hours of sleep per night for the past 14 days, the inability to recover…it’s time to pay attention to getting well.

Beyond being able to ride at the high level I’m accustomed to, I also am missing out on any of the social interaction over meals and post ride gatherings. What with my constant coughing, the other members of the tour tend to shy away, and as such, in respect to their concerns, I typically eat by myself and maintain a distance from others. And while Dr. Nick has said it’s highly unlikely this lingering bronchitis is contagious, no one wants a constant hacker sitting next to them. Frankly, I completely understand their reaction. The good news is that I find my company to be entirely enjoyable, my books to be engaging, and my music to be entertaining. So, while I would like to know a bit more about my fellow riders at some point, that can wait for the time being.

My apologies if this narrative comes across as a bit of a gripe, that’s not the intent. The intent is simply to share the conditions as they exist. I’m confident that my overall physical health is sound enough to overcome this irritation, but it will come with prudent decisions about when to ride and when to rest. I’ve managed to do the longest days consecutively, the longest climbs, and the rainiest and coldest days. So, if I have to sit out a few pleasant days and take in the views from a seat in the van, so be it. I’d sure like to be riding at full strength when we get to Madison.

More to come, and God Speed!

JK





No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Green to Madison...leading to rest day. 55 miles w/ 2800' climbing Mr. Rogers says…It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood…   To...