Monday, May 30, 2022

Two days from rolling...

Amy and I are having such fun in Astoria leading up to the cross-country journey. It's been relaxing. And frankly, while I'm excited about pointing my wheels east to begin pedaling, I'm a bit anxious as well. Anxious about the logistics, my training, my nutrition, staying hydrated, combating fatigue, and slowing down enough to enjoy the journey. So, over the previous 6 days, we've had nary a thought about riding a bike, while we've had a wonderful time exploring the sites and natural wonders of the Pacific Northwest. And while we've had a pouring rain for the past 4 days, we've thoroughly enjoyed our hikes through the verdant forests while retracing some of the trail of the Corps of Discovery. In anticipation of our visit, I reread Ambrose's 'Undaunted Courage'. Other than the Lewis and Clark journals firsthand account, it's one of the best to document their incredible journey. They were hardy, courageous men (and one woman...). I salute them in their accomplishments.

As to the kickoff of the cycling journey...we have a short (30 miles) ride to the Pacific at Ft. Stevens on June 1st for the ceremonial wheel dip in the ocean. The following day we commence riding east, with a 95-mile ride to Portland, Oregon. From there, it's Portland, Maine or bust!

Thanks for following along...and please consider supporting Oasis Center. The link is below. To those that have made a gift, I, along with OC, offer you a heartfelt thank you!

https://oasiscenter.org/home/maptivists

Keep in touch, and keep an eye out for regular updates as we roll out across the mountains, plains, and prairies.

(I've included a few pictures from our hikes of previous days...hope you enjoy them)















 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Green to Madison...leading to rest day. 55 miles w/ 2800' climbing Mr. Rogers says…It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood…   To...