Saturday, June 11, 2022

Day 10: Lolo Lodge to Missoula

 I am tickled pink that I made it through to our rest day in Missoula. Frankly, the last five days were a grind for me…lack of sleep from coughing, gritty sore throat in the morning, and little green aliens coming from my lungs. But, with the help of saltwater gargle and some zinc lozenges I managed to get my butt on the bike and pedal.

This was an interesting study, as having a cold and chest congestion at home I would simply take a nap and rest. Not being able to do that on this trek, I wasn’t sure how my body would handle the stress of warding off illness along with the requirement of riding a bike a 100 miles. And while on a few days I felt like something you would scrape from your shoe, I’m pleased that I was still able to go the distance for this leg of the journey. Of course, the beauty of the lay of the land I was traversing was a wonderful palliative to get me through the day.

Today was a short jaunt into Missoula, 37 miles, mostly flat. I didn’t stop to take a lot of pictures as a drenching rain accompanied me along the way. I was soaked, and only had thoughts of getting out of my wet gear, getting warm, and getting fed. So I put my head down and went as fast as my little legs would take me. Mission accomplished. Missoula appears to be a lovely little city, hard by the Clark Fork River, with a population of about 75,000. It’s also the home of the Univ. of Montana…Go Grizzlies!

Back on the bike Sunday…for now, do a bit laundry and nap time. Oh yes, and a special treat as Ben and Whitney will be visiting me from Livingston tomorrow. It will be so good to spend time with them.

Cheers,
JK




No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Green to Madison...leading to rest day. 55 miles w/ 2800' climbing Mr. Rogers says…It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood…   To...